Child abduction laws

On Behalf of | Aug 8, 2016 | Federal Crimes, Firm News

Divorce settlements may cause child custody problems. This separation may deeply affect your children.

Couples that are unable to reach an agreement and follow court orders may result in one parent taking desperate measures to see their child. The non-custodial parent may be concerned that they are being denied their rights. They may be worried that they are being given less visitation time with their child than their ex-spouse. This may brew jealousy as they feel they would like more visitation time with their child. With this pent up anger and resentment for their ex-spouse they may retaliate and kidnap the child.

Penal Code 278 PC defines the California crime of Child abduction, also known as child kidnapping. In the United States, the police use the Child Abduction Emergency (CAE) program which is called the AMBER Alert. This emergency system is used to alert onlookers and drivers of missing children using electronic signs on the road, text messages and social media.  Immediately after posting the missing children message the California Task Force is alerted.  In California an international multilateral treaty was established called the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction. The purpose of the treaty is to recover the international abducted children from another country to their family.

If you are a parent and you have abducted your child due to a marriage dispute and your ex-spouse will not let you contact your child, then you may want to discuss your case with an experienced lawyer who can shed light on your story and provide you with the justice and a visitation agreement plan that suits your needs and will be in the best interest of the child.

Tell us about your criminal case